The trading post Kvalesund in Os, around 1900
The trading centre lies in a sheltered harbour in the narrow sound between Innerøy and Ytterøy. In the 1730s Kvalesund was mentioned as a necessary hostelry place “For Travelling Farmers from Hardanger, Ous and Strandvig since there are dangerous Fiords on all Sides and far away from other Harbours”. Around 1800 the owner, Fredrik Sørensen Elholm built new houses. They are the ones standing today.