In the 1840s the government put a great effort into improving road connections between the various parts of the country. In order to promote a faster post delivery between Oslo and Bergen, Captain Finne was given the assignment to chart a new road in Stalheimskleiva.
This road construction required a lot of mountain blasting. Everything was drilled by hand and blasted with dynamite. A number of work gangs participated in the work, which attracted workers from many parts of the country. The high walls have stayed unaltered until this day. Some bends have been expanded, and in place of the iron railings, there is now a concreted edge, but otherwise the road is the same. Almost 2km with a rise of 270m and 14 bends from the bridge up to Stalheim. Bendiksvingen and Hatlebrotsvingen are names derived from work foremen.
The work took three years, and the new road was driveable in 1846. From 1936 the road could be driven by cars and buses, today it is a cultural monument and a great attraction. The road is open for one-way driving during the summer season.